Monday, October 03, 2005

Meanderings of an ADD Mind

Well, the Gators got slapped around the field this weekend by Alabama. After such a depressing loss there’s only one thing I can say. Go Tampa Bay Bucs. At least one of my teams is still undefeated.

It makes a fellow think. I haven’t heard one thing about the Black Action Network or the Rainbow Coalition giving aid to New Orleans. All of the claims of racism by their leaders, but where are they – it’s all just talk. And who is left to pick up the pieces – the churches.

If the next presidential nomination to the Supreme Court is going to be filibustered no matter what, why not throw someone up there just right of Attila the Hun. That way the next guy or gal doesn’t look quite as bad.

I don’t know why youth ministers get the rap for being disorganized. We typically organize more events and trips that anyone else in the…er… has anyone seen my cell phone?

I have this reoccurring dream that I get to heaven and ask God what my purpose in life was. He quickly responds, “There was this boy at the carnival who was about to run over by the guy driving the kiddy train. If you wouldn’t have yelled ‘watch out’ he would have never gone on to be this great man of God.” In the dream I reply, “that was it?’ “Yup, everything else was just icing.”

I don’t believe most polls.

I wonder how much you should worry about your reputation. Last week I heard that I guy I really respected didn’t care much for me. It bothered me at first, then I realized I can’t think of one thing I’ve done to the guy. I don’t know, but I’m glad God shows more grace than many of his followers are willing to show.

There are times that I am reminded of why I chose ministry. I love being a youth minister. It’s working for a church that gets on my nerves.

Brendan told me this weekend that he wanted to go to New Orleans to help with the storm victims. Last week he gave up part of his allowance (unsolicited) to send it down there. Every parent thinks their kid is great, at least until they hit sixth grade. But, I am very proud of my kid.

Speaking of children – Matt McDowell is a father. The kid weighs four pounds and already knows three chords.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

George...i miss you.

Fred Peatross said...

There are times that I am reminded of why I chose ministry. I love being a youth minister. It’s working for a church that gets on my nerves.

For a guy who's on church staff...that's a brave avowal.